The biggest impact that you can have on global warming is going vegan. That fact comes from the UN report stating that livestock production is more detrimental to the environment than all total combined emissions from the transportation sector. Living a vegan lifestyle is the best thing you can do for the earth- so simple, yet curiously not a message that Al Gore or other "environmentalists" ever shout out loud because they are not ready to go there. How sad.
I'm sure you've heard this all before but here are some things that I do to lessen my footprint:
- Recycle, recycle, recycle (I am a recycling fiend. I have gone through yucky trash at one of my photo shoots to pull out the cans & bottles because I forgot to set out a recycling bag which honestly, people never pay attention and still dump trash in the recycling...)
- Avoid disposable plates & utensils like the plague. It's so wasteful & unnecessary- I understand the convenience factor, but not really because it doesn't take that much more time to do the dishes. If you absolutely must purchase disposable utensils & plates, buy biodegradable & sustainable products made from sugar cane fibers, corn & potatoes online at The Green Office.
- Avoid straws & disposable wooden chopsticks when eating out. (When dining at an Asian restaurant, I have ask for real chopsticks if not, I opt for a fork. Eating sushi with a fork is not ideal, but it gets the job done. My other idea was to get a a pair of cute travel chopsticks in a case to bring with me...)
- Buy paper products (toilet paper, tissues, printing paper) made with recycled post consumer content and avoid paper products whitened with bleach.
- Don't waste water. (The water that I wash my veggies in is saved for watering the plants and I do not leave that water running while I brush my teeth! And because I am a good procrastinator, I make sure I have a full load of laundry before I do the wash and wash everything in cold-saves energy.)
- Shut everything off at night. Put everything imaginable with a plug on a power strip & shut that power strip off at night to avoid those energy vampires because even when it's seemingly off, that cable box is still sucking energy...
- Use compact fluorescent light bulbs.
- Use environmentally friendly, animal friendly & animal-free cleaning products like Method and Ecover.
- Use organic, animal friendly & animal-free bath & beauty products like Juice Beauty and Dr.Bronner's.
- Bring my own eco-chic bags when shopping. I love my super cute, green wonder string bag that holds so much more than you can imagine from Ecobags. It doesn't take much space rolled up and I bring it everywhere.
- Avoiding conspicuous consumption by buying less things that are not necessities.
- However, if one must actually indulge, buy eco-friendly products like this great bag I just bought made from recycled & discarded old sailcloth & rubber from sailboats by Red Flag Design. Mine is grey with green handles and the bags are one-of-a kind because they made from reclaimed sails the material is marked by it's voyage on the seas. The image is from Branch a really cool store which sells wonderful sustainable products- oops, had to change that pic because the pic I had was one of the few bags that contained leather and that's not the one I would be interested in which was pointed out to me through one of my lovely comments below- thanks!.
- Use biodegradable- environmentally friendly kitty litter like Feline Pine made from recycled pine trees. It's so much better for everyone involved than clay & crystal litters. The clay & silica dust are harmful for kitty's lungs & yours.
- Not that I am recommending this for anyone, but I make Booboo's favorite toy from her own fur. Yes, Booboo plays with sustainable toys. I got the idea from a boiled wool mouse that Fcat bought her before I went vegan. Booboo's got a lot of fur so I started making little rolled up furballs which I ball up with soap & hot water. She loves them because they bounce & fly through the air as she swats & chases them.
So there you have it, a few of the many things that I & Booboo do to live a more environmentally friendly life. Every single action has a consequence, let's be more conscientious and start a chain reaction to save the world & ourselves.